ICCO and its member associations are challenging the public relations industry to walk the talk with its new #POWERofETHICS campaign.
Global progress and positive action in ethical PR practice is best achieved collaboratively, which is why the 40 national and regional associations within ICCO came together to create ten binding principles in the Helsinki Declaration, and to champion the #POWERofETHICS this September.
The message from the global PR industry
- High ethical standards are critical for PR agencies. Let’s educate other professionals on what those standards are and how best to apply them practically, live by them, and embed them into agency culture and our working lives.
- PR is a powerful ethical tool. Ethics needs PR in the same way that PR needs ethics. Let’s celebrate and promote the great work PR has done to promote ethics and ethical issues across industries and cultures.
The campaign kicked off with a live Twitter chat hosted by @PRtalkUK. On the campaign launch, Francis Ingham MPRCA, Director General, PRCA, and Chief Executive, ICCO, said:
“The importance of high ethical standards within the PR industry cannot be emphasised enough. Having recently stood with our global sister organisations to defend the free press, and having supported the Global Alliance’s Global Principles of Ethical Practice in PR and Communication in their work to complement the ground-breaking ICCO Helsinki Principles, there has never been a better time to launch the #POWERofETHICS campaign.
“With that in mind, we challenge all PR organisations and practitioners to champion the #POWERofETHICS this September, urging both themselves and their fellow PR professionals to walk the talk when it comes to ethics in PR.”
FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
- Internal communications: tools for the employee experience with PRCOM, 4th September, Helsinki, Finland
- “Ethics Counsel Today: No Boundaries” Twitter chat with @PRSA 4th September at 8 p.m. EDT
- Ethics Roundtable with H+K Strategies with Holmes Report, 12th September, Singapore
- Responsible Influencer Marketing, with PRCA UK,12th September, London, UK
- PRCA National Conference on 21st September, London, UK. Entitled ‘Embracing Change’, the conference will focus on tackling ethical issues that the communications world is dealing with and reconsidering the social value of PR
- ‘Ethics in PR and Communications’ courses with ICCO, offering 15% off throughout September
- How are your ethics? with PRCA UK, 2nd October, Birmingham, UK
- ICCO Global Summit 4-5th October, Dublin, Ireland. The Summit will include sessions on Combating Mistrust, Regional Ethical Challenges, Advocacy, and Responsible Data Science amongst many other topics
- Helsinki Declaration Advocates: we’re encouraging PR pros to revisit the ten principles and raise standards collectively by advocating them to colleagues and stakeholders
- Follow Ethics Blogs being added throughout September
Join the conversation on Twitter using @ICCOpr #POWERofETHICS